In the inter-war years large numbers of Victorian railway carriages were taken out of service and transformed into 'camp coaches.' One of the largest providers of these was the Great Western Railway, and in April 1935 the company's staff magazine carried a feature on them with images from one stationed at Dyffryn-on-Sea in North Wales. The article revealed that for the coming summer the number of coaches the company would be offering around its network was being increased to thirty-eight. Available for six, eight or ten people, all came equipped with a living room, kitchen and two sleeping compartments. The cost of such accommodation, which the magazine stated would not increase during the holiday season, was £3 per week for a six berth coach, £4 for an eight and £5 for a ten.